When I attended one of the schools of my life, there was a teacher and a discipline where we had to study Analysis of written material - essays, short stories, books. The goal of this discipline was to help us understand the real messages in the works - the hidden ones, the ones that mattered. I hated this discipline, I could not understand why I had to study it (so awfully difficult) but I am glad I was a diligent student. In this post I will try to be as short as possible while helping people understand what they are seeing. Very few people nowadays are capable of doing a solid art analysis and I do not claim to be one of them so please help in this exercise if you have the desire and time. Thank you!
The story is about one person who thinks he is better than the others, he is something more. Not much more, just a bit more. For this slight feeling of superiority this person manages to ruin his own life and the lives of those who he thinks he loves. This is the main negative character - he is the important one.
*Each and every one of us is taught to become him in the nowadays Western Culture of "Individualists".
This is a movie about escapism - escapism is everywhere nowadays, even in our families which it is slowly but surely annihilating. Escapism is the Religion of the Western World which led us to the worst freedom and economics crisis of all times.
*Each and every one of us is taught to "stay away and not get involved" when someone else is taken down.
This is a movie about survival when you have no one and no place. This is the most difficult film to understand because each and every one of us lives in the illusion this could not happen to them. Then half of the actions in the movie are absolutely impossible to understand.
*Each and every one of us is taught to think bad things can happen ONLY to other people, never to us. As a result we can afford to live without "thinking". Just repeat everyday habits and daydream without any real touch with real life (not artificial reality created by the mass-media).
The words of Mark Vonnegut are the best description : "We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is." The best American movie for me, ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment